Life In America
Relocating to a new country can be exhausting, but you have a helping hand…
An Overview of Life in the USA
Living in the USA is very different from living in Australia. For those who are going for the first time, it is important that you go with a basic idea of what to expect.
As soon as you land in the USA, register with the Australian Mission at http://www.orao.dfat.gov.au/
so you can be contacted in any emergency.
It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness.
~ Britney Simpson
Our team will assist you in getting the basics in place such as Social Security Number, a house, credit cards, bank account etc. Simultaneously you are required to learn about some of the critical differences between Australia and the USA
- Driving is on the left hand side in the USA. It is advisable that you do not immediately drive a car as impulsively you would drive as in Australia, and that would be “the wrong side” in the USA.
- Carry enough cash to take you through the first few months as it would take some time for you to get credit cards and the first months would need lots of purchases.
- For large purchases without credit, check for shops that offer ‘zero interest installments’ for first time customers.
- Metric System is followed in the USA, hence a conversion app on your cellphone that converts British measuring units to the metric system would come in handy.
- In the USA, religion is more important and obvious than in Australia.
- Be aware that a different English is spoken in the USA. Give it a little time until you understand its nuances.
- Tipping is important in the USA – for all services.
For any advice/ assistance with regard to relocation, do contact us.
Our team will always be ready to assist you in making your life easier.